Monday, February 2, 2009

Grundoon Day!!!

February 2th, known to fans of Pogo as Grundoon Day, but I'm probably showing my age by saying that.  For those of you who don't know, Pogo was a WONDERFUL comic strip that featured Pogo Possum and his buddies, whose misadventures can be compared to Calvin and Hobbes in style.  Back in the day when Pogo appeared in color, in the only color pages of the Kansas City Star (on Sundays), I would read it to LittleMom as she busily prepared the Sunday dinner after church.  We would laugh ourselves silly over that week's adventures of Pogo, Albert Alligator, Howland Owl, et. al.  It did take some concentration to read... these characters had some strange spellings and well, just bizarre ways of saying things.  Like Groundhog Day.  In Pogoland, it was Grundoon Day!  For more about Pogo, here's the oh-fishul site:  pogopossum.com

Soanyways (somethin' Pogo might say if'n he was in Pennsa-vainya), some things are just too strange.  Let me 'splain, Rucy...  Yesterday, at the annual meeting of Historic Lyme Village at Bellevue, Ohio, I was to be the speaker.  I volunteer there and my "job" is Coordinator of The Victorian Guild, a group of volunteers who work all year to recreate Victorian-era Christmas decor and then decorate the 1882 John Wright Mansion at the Village.  So I'm sitting there, costumed in bustle and corset cause I always dress in costume when giving a talk, and I'm thinking about how long is the business portion of this meeting, so I can get on with my presentation.  Well, the president of the museum board started the meeting, "First off, we're gonna announce the Volunteer of the Year... she was born in Independence, Missouri...."  Well, my jaw dropped to the floor!  I'se practically for certain he's talkin' 'bout ME cause I'm pretty sure no one ELSE in that room was born in Missouri, much less in Independence!  I must say here that the "award" is for the entire Victorian Guild... a small group of about a dozen dedicated ladies.  We have been decorating the Wright Mansion for the past 8 Christmases and it is a really nice honor to be recognized in this way.  

Then today, I discover that those super-delightful gals over at Summer Kitchen Interiors (ck 'em out here)

up and "awarded" Ivy's Vine as one of their top bloggers for attitude/gratitude!  Wowee!!!  Thanks Karla and Karrie!  We truly appreciate those kinds words of encouragement you've shown us.  

So how very strange... TWO "awards" in TWO days... and I didn't even have to play a game of football!  I'm sure stranger things have happened... just not to me lately.

More about The Victorian Guild and what's new at Ivy's Vine in future posts.  Thanks for reading and hope you'll return.  

No comments:

Post a Comment